When it comes to getting subscribers outside of your website, I have one rule and one rule only:
If you are going to spend any money promoting the signup form, it better be on your own platform.
In other words, any marketing efforts will have to send the traffic to either a page on your site or a landing page you own. But don’t invest money on sending traffic to a Facebook Tab, for example.
That said, if you see any opportunity to hang a signup form anywhere on the Internet, Take it!
Facebook tabs, Twitter cards, I’d put a signup form on the moon if I could!
In this lesson, I have 3 videos for you:
- Call-to-Action button on your Facebook Page
- Using a Facebook Custom App
- How to Use the Twitter Lead Generation Card
And we’ll also cover how to get subscribers on face-to-face situations, like events.
Ready? Let’s do this then…
Call-to-Action Button on Your Facebook Page
Using a Facebook Custom App (or Tab…)
Services you can use to create a Facebook App:
How to Use the Twitter Lead Generation Card
How to get subscribers face to face
We are often so busy trying to get everything going online, that we forget all the opportunities we get on a daily basis when we interact with three-dimensional human beings, like in events or at a point of sale.
Remember the story of how I opened a skateshop a few years ago? Well, at that time I wasn’t even dreaming about email marketing, but I use make everybody friend me on MySpace as soon as they came in the shop.
How many times did you hear the girl from The Gap ask you if you want to join the mailing list.
Maybe you own a restaurant, or have a booth at a trade show, can you imagine how many people will be face to face with you? Most of them with a clear interest in what you do.
Turns out many of the ESPs offer solutions for this and they are the easiest thing to set up.
Take Atom from Aweber for example:
- You install the app
- Log in with your account
- Select the list you want add to
- Collect emails
- The app sends the information to your list
I know what you’re thinking… “But what if I don’t have a wifi connection?”
That’s why these are apps, they store the leads for you until you have a connection.
Here are some of the apps available in the market:
- Atom from Aweber
- Chimpadeedoo from Mailchimp, of course
- Enlist from Campaign Monitor
- Forms on The Go from GetResponse
- Guestbook from Emma
Let’s go outside of your website:
- Explore the opportunities. Sure, we cover Facebook and Twitter here but I’m sure you can come up with other stuff
- Set your little soldiers out there in the world to collect emails for you
- Monitor their performance
- Do you have an event coming soon? Are you in the retail business or work directly with people in the real world? Set up a way to collect emails in those situations